Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Blog Post 3

Weinberger says, "Reality is multifaceted. There are a lot of ways to slice it. How we choose to slice it up depends on why we're slicing it up." Go back to the thing you described organizing on Tuedsay's blog. How might someone else organize this item? What does how YOU organize it say about what you value and who you are?

In my last blog entry I talked about how I like to "organize" my netflix. I do this by paying close attention to my ratings of movies. Should this particular movie get the red carpet treatment and be a 5 star, or is it just really good and a 4 star? Should I list this movie as "not interested" or leave it open, as it might sway future recommendations that I might miss out on?

I guess others would use it in a similar way. While the algorithms that Netflix uses are super complicated, the rating system is not. 1-5 stars and an option for "not interested".

The way I order my netflix probably does say something about me. I think that would be that I am trying to refine my movie tastes. I still love my old favorite (dumb and dumber of course), but I am trying to branch out into other genres. I watch a lot of foreign films, as well as indy and documentaries.

1 comment:

  1. So basically, by utilizing the star system in Netflix, you're being a smart user in the 3rd order of order. That is, you recognize there is a system that can give you the results you want so long as you input the data from your own perspective. Cool.

    ReplyDelete